NIANTIC, CT — Three families are displaced following a 3-alarm hearth late Monday afternoon hearth in a mixed-use retail and residential plaza on Flanders Street in Niantic. The blaze at Midway Plaza, 170 Flanders Street, introduced firefighters from at the very least 6 location fireplace departments.
Flames and smoke from the blaze could be noticed for miles, centered on the quite a few pictures and videos of the inferno posted to social media.
The website, 170 Flanders Road, is a two-tale setting up the first floor is all retail and on the 2nd flooring, eight residences.
Just immediately after 6 p.m., East Lyme Law enforcement Chief Michael Finkelstein stated the fire experienced been “knocked down” and that there were no injuries.
Finkelstein mentioned afterwards that for a period of time there ended up people trapped, but he mentioned they have been capable to get out. He mentioned that the three people who have been displaced are currently being assisted by the Red Cross.
Although the hearth seems to have its origins in an condominium, that will be verified after the investigation by East Lyme Hearth Marshal John J. Way.
Way and the town’s setting up official have been on scene when Patch spoke to Finkelstein, also nevertheless at the scene. He explained that they have been going by way of just about every unit to identify “what is heading to be authorized to be occupied and what is condemned.” Even though the hearth did not immediately effect most of the plaza, ability was shut down and with the recent considerably-underneath freezing temperatures, the area is coated in ice. Maintaining individuals safe is the precedence, Finkelstein mentioned.
East Lyme To start with Selectman Kevin Seery praised to start with responders, noting the Flanders and Niantic Fireplace departments “responded incredibly promptly and took rapid steps to prevent the fireplace from spreading.
“No one particular in the residences or businesses ended up wounded! The quick steps of the first firefighters on the scene, as well as those people of all the responding firefighters, prevented this fire from starting to be a good deal worse,” Seery explained. “A heartfelt ‘thank ‘you” to all of the initially responders that routinely hazard their security to make sure ours.”
The purchasing plaza is house to quite a few corporations like: Taza Grille Center Jap Restaurant, Your CBD Retail store, “Weight” No More time, LLC, Paw Print Pantry, Excellent Wall Restaurant, The Manager Babe Splendor, Platinum Food Prep, and doctor’s places of work.
In pictures from town officers and New London firefighters posted to social media, the fireplace seems to have started in an condominium above the CBD, salon and food prep businesses.
Firefighters from Poquonnock Bridge, Groton, Mystic, Aged Mystic, Aged Saybrook, New London, Waterford and the Mohegan Tribe aided fight the blaze. Flanders Road was shut from Culture Highway to Industrial Park Highway.