Fischer Brothers, Whose View And Jewellery Organization However Stands, Begun Out On Cameron Hill
The Fischer Brothers, whose look at and jewellery enterprise nonetheless stands at the aged common internet site of 801 Sector St., started out on Cameron Hill.
William F. and Louis L. Fischer, two bachelor brothers who constantly lived collectively, boarded at 212 W. Fifth prior to they settled in on an higher floor of their Eighth and Current market industrial constructing. Just before that, they lived with a further brother, Otto Fischer, at Fifth and Chestnut. Otto Fischer labored for the Soddy Coal Company, then he grew to become a Chattanooga lawyer.
Will Fischer opened his small business in a boarded-up steady on Market Street in July of 1867.
He was only in his early 20s and was shortly joined by his young brother.
Will Fischer was born in 1846 in Mecklenburg, Germany, and came with his dad and mom at a young age, 1st to New York, and then to Dalton, Ga,, in which he expended a great deal of his youth. He arrived to Chattanooga in July of 1867. He first rented a very little frame developing on Market place Avenue, where he repaired watches. He acquired a small inventory of watches and jewellery on credit history and was released in a comprehensive-time small business. Lou Fischer joined him in 1869, and the business took the name W.F. Fischer and Brother. The brothers moved to a far better locale in 1870, but the building was dropped in a hearth in 1871. They shortly had been re-proven at the southwest corner of Market place and Eighth streets.
When a new courthouse was built in 1878, the Fischers ordered a 3,000-pound bell for it from a agency in Troy, N.Y.
The Fischers unveiled a new retail store at their Eighth and Sector web site in December of 1881. It highlighted furniture of ebonized cherry, trimmed with elaborate patterns in strong gold. In the rear of the keep was a “impressive” mirror encased in black cherry. In the centre of each individual wall were bevel-edged French mirrors. The Fischers exhibited $1,000 ear drops and $500 brooches in the handsome furnishings cases.
1 morning in June 1909, Will Fischer experienced absent upstairs immediately after not feeling properly. His nephew, W.M. Hatcher, had absent to see him about a make any difference and went upstairs to his apartment. When he could not get him to come to the doorway, he with the aid of a porter was in a position to get into the residence, exactly where Will Fischer was observed dead from pure results in. He was 62 yrs aged.
Lou Fischer, who was born about three many years afterwards than Will immediately after the relatives had settled in New York Metropolis from Germany, went on to head the jewellery firm for 22 yrs. His dying arrived on March 14, 1931. He was a member of 1st Presbyterian Church and resided at the Mountain Town Club, exactly where he died pursuing a coronary heart attack right after returning from a Florida holiday vacation.
Both of those Fischer brothers are buried at Forest Hills Cemetery.
Carter Evans obtained Fischer Brothers in 1956 and altered the identify to Fischer-Evans. Howard Glover bought Fischer-Evans in 1970.
There was a landmark clock that very long stood on Market Road outside the house the jewelry business, but it was taken down for security causes.